August is a quieter time for me work-wise, as many clients are on holiday. If that is also true for you, why not make the most of the opportunity and take some time out to reflect on your life journey and your career to date?
In the fast pace of modern life it’s easy to be swept along with the tide. But taking time out is a way of wrestling back control, enabling you to redefine your goals and future path. It can be very grounding.
Think about where you’ve come from, where you are now, where you want to be and whether you’re on track. Are you happy with your journey so far? What are your goals and aspirations for the future? What do you need to change to ensure you reach them?
Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to start, particularly if you’ve not done much self-reflection before. So here’s a list of 10 questions that can be useful catalysts to get those thought processes going:
- Imagine it’s your 60th birthday party and someone stands up to say something about you. What do you want them to say? What sort of person do you want them to describe?
- If you woke up tomorrow and a miracle had happened, what would your life look like?
- What makes you want to get out of bed in the morning?
- What has been your proudest achievement to date?
- Who have been the five most influential people in your life and why?
- What three values are most important to you?
- What one thing do you most want to achieve in the next year?
- What is the most important thing you could do for your career?
- What do you do at home or work which holds you back?
- What is your greatest skill?
I hope you find them useful. Please let me know if you do!